The Bog Meadows Thing


Bog Meadows, in addition to being a great name for a band, is an area of wetlands and grassland in West Belfast. And according to the Ulster Wildlife Trust, it’s a place where you’ll find butterflies and buzzards, coots and cattle, swans and sticklebacks, and – in autumn – “feeding flocks of fieldfare.” 
The Bog Meadows - Paul McIlroy
CC-BY-SA-2.0
In addition to all of these regular animals, Bog Meadows may also be home to at least one nightmare creature. The following letter appeared in The Northern Whig of 23 August 1890.
SIR – I was enjoying a stroll in the Bog Meadows a few evenings ago, when the weather was for once exceptionally fine. I was alone. The seclusion and quiet that surrounded me were only broken by the occasional whistle of some passing engine on the adjoining railway, or the merry laugh from some distant group of youths at play. I slowly wended my way along the banks of a sluggish stream almost hidden by rank vegetation, and I closely observed the various forms of animate and inanimate nature around me. The water in the stream was bright and almost still. 

Following the movements of aquatic creatures that like myself seem to enjoy the evening, I observed what appeared like an eel or serpent, and yet unlike either, because it seemed to contract and expand as worms do, but it was by no means a worm. It was rough and wrinkled on the surface even when it extended itself until it was twice the length of my body, and almost transparent. I became interested, and got on to a branch of a tree that extended over the water, which at this point was tolerably wide. I was thereby enabled to observe the creature more closely, as the branch bent quite close to the surface. 

I then saw clearly what appeared to be a nest or family of similar creatures, all of them becoming more active, as if disturbed by my presence and efforts to adjust myself to the awkward position I endeavoured to occupy. I soon observed that this nest of writhing, lithe, and now very active creatures was in reality only one animal, the several serpent-like coils being attached to one base very much stouter than the portion first seen, and as long as my body. It was powerfully contracted like the rest of the animal, and its end or base was made fast to the bank. To my absolute horror one of the arms shot out and coiled round me, and this was quickly followed by another and another until I was completely entangled and rendered almost powerless on the now swaying branch dipping in and out of the surface of the water. 

My desperate struggles to get free only caused the branch to sink the deeper, and this alternately plunged me in and out of the stream. I felt the strong pull of my formidable foe, and as it took a firmer hold I became benumbed all over and pierced as if by thorns. Gradually I lost all self-possession and can remember no more, until, like as if awaking from a horrid dream, I found myself completely prostrate and in great pain but surrounded by my friends at home. I subsequently ascertained that a gentleman who saw my struggles came to my aid, and, rescuing me, restored me to friends and home, where I shall have reason to remember my death struggle and my friend’s timely assistance. For obvious reasons I withhold his name, but enclose his printed card as a guarantee of good faith.
PHRYGANEA
Sources:
The Northern Whig, 23 August 1890
Ulster Wildlife Trust website (accessed 26 October 2019)

Comments

  1. Hoax
    Before I left Belfast for a holiday I sent you a contribution under the above head, and over the signature Phryganea. I need not tell you that I described a real scene, of which I was a witness, but the description has been misunderstood by many who should know better. The strange animal I saw was not an octopus, much less a big gooseberry it was a real living creature, as described; but was far more formidable than any known octopus, and one of the strangest of strange animals, as anyone can verify for themselves, for it can still be seen in the Bog Meadows. I
    ventured to describe the feelings of the Individual attacked, but, as this was a matter of conjecture, I may have been at fault to some degree, but of the main facts described there can be no possible doubt. The “strange animal" has been known to naturalists for more than a hundred years, and is the type of group known as the hydras. The individual attacked by the animal and rescued by me was a small creature common to swamps and pools, and. although a good magnifying glass was necessary to see the conflict, it was as desperate and deadly as any that could occur between the more powerful animals of tropical forces.

    From our book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Aquatic-Monsters-Survey-Definitive/dp/1080943420

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, thanks for posting this. I think I like the "explanation" almost as much as the original story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts